Activities and Affiliations
- Traub's web page @ Columbia University.
- Joseph F. Traub (Wikipedia)
- The Computer Science and Telecommunications Board (CSTB) works to provide independent advice to the federal government regarding technical and policy issues which relate to computer science. Traub served as founding chair 1986-1992 and was chair again 2005-2009.
- Elected a Fellow in the National Academy of Engineering in 1985.
- Appointed to the Divisional Committee for Engineering and Physical Sciences (DEPSCOM) of the National Research Council in 2010.
- Traub's web page @ Santa Fe Institute
Lectures and Presentations
- Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer Science Distinguished Lecture, September 19, 2002.
- Dagstuhl Seminar Proceedings – Algorithms and Complexity for Continuous Problems Workshop
- University of California Santa Barbara, Department of Computer Science colloquia, March 6, 2006.
- In 1993, Traub presented a series of six lectures at the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei of Rome which were compiled into the book Complexity and Information.
Publications and Research
- Traub founded The Journal of Complexity in 1985, and is currently the Editor-in-Chief.
- Associate Editor of Complexity.
- Joseph F. Traub (Wikipedia)
- Information-Based Complexity (Wikipedia)
- Jenkins-Traub Algorithm (Wikipedia)
- Quasi-Monte Carlo Methods in Finance (Wikipedia)
- Continuous Quantum Computation (Wikipedia)
- Defining a Decade: Envisioning CSTB's Second 10 Years – Proceedings of the Computer Science and Telecommunications Board’s 10th Anniversary Symposium May 16, 1996, Washington D.C. This site includes the complete contents of the proceedings, which also include a chapter written by Traub.
- Traub’s working papers through the Santa Fe Institute.
- Carnegie Mellon University – Computer Science Research Reviews 1966-1990: Tables of Contents.
- The Unknown and the Unknowable: A Talk with Joseph Traub (Edge magazine)
- Charles Babbage Institute Center for the History of Information Technology - Oral History Interviews - Abstracts and Transcripts
- The History of Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing - An Interview with Joseph F. Traub
Honors and Awards
- Symposium for Joseph Traub's 80th Birthday Celebration. Videos are available.
- Elected a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society (AMS) in 2012. This was the inaugural year of the AMS Fellows.
- Elected a Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) in 2009. This was the inaugural year of SIAM Fellows.
- Elected a Fellow of the New York Academy of Sciences in 1999.
- Awarded a New York Mayor's Award for Excellence in Science and Technology in 1999. Columbia University announced this in the March 8, 2000 edition of Columbia University News.
- Elected a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) in 1994. This was the inaugural year of the ACM Fellows.
- 1992 CRA Distinguished Service Award (Computing Research Association)
- 1991 IEEE Emanuel R. Piore Award
- Elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1971.
- The Mathematics Genealogy Project (North Dakota State University)
- A brief history of the The IBM Watson Laboratory at Columbia University.